Friday, February 23, 2018

Networking for the golf industry

Representing at the Agricultural Business Banquent in Richmond On behalf of the Virginias Golf Course Superintendents Association. We were able to have some conversations with Congressman Dave Brat about our industry. Glad to know that he is willing to support us and willing to be part of  a some events in the future.

Spent some time in February visiting at the state capital representing for th Virginia Golf Course Industry. Meet with several Senators and Aides to lobby on behalf of some water/well drilling issues that were trying to be passed that did not Benefit the golf industry. This was one of the meetings that day with Senator Dave Sutterlain District 19 

During the early part of February, I attended the Golf Course Superintendents National Conference in San Antonio.
Continue Eduation is part of the way to keep up with the latest trends, network with professors, friends from other parts of the country and make other connections. 
No matter how many social network sites there are, having face to face time is still the most engaging and best way to learn!

The opening portion of the trade show floor in San Antonio. The Golf Course Architects Association built this hole inside the convention center for the event to help demonstrate several products found on a golf hole.

Closing ceramony sponsored by John Deere. Comedian Darrell Hammond provided us with some entertainment. 

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Rye overseeding to the fairways

Picture show rye seed on top of the playing surface. With several irrigation cycles the seed will fall into the canopy which will help to protect the young seedlings

Several light irrigation cycle will be programmed to speed up the process of the germination. It has been dry so it may take several more days thanks expected 

First mowing of the approaches. Mowing at higher heights. Mowing heights will be reduced in the next couple weeks as the temperature starts to cool down and there is less competition from the Bermuda 

Fairways being mowed for the first time. The process will be the same for the fairways as I mentioned for the approaches 

Bunker liner repairs

We have spent the last couple of weeks repairing bunker liners in several bunkers. This is a timely process but the liners do help with reducing contaminants and help prevent washouts.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Drone use for Maintenance Surveying

I got a drone to use through-out the maintenance department to help with surveying areas around the course, picture, scouting for drought, traffic, disease pressure, shade line(tree management).  I am sure much more as  I learn better ways to use it.  Here are some fun pictures from yesterday. 

Hole #6

Hole #5

Hole #1

Hole #3 

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Few Pictures from around the course

8 tee and 7 green complex

Few of our wildlife friends

View of hole #3

View of 14 from the forward tees 

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Bermuda Aeration

Fairways, tees amd approaches have also been aerated to aid with rye grass transition and promote healthy bermudagrass 

Using the sweeper to collect cores from the playing areas 

Here is a good illustration showing the approach sand topdressing program is doing a nice job. The added sand helps to firm up the approaches and allow for better plant health and playability.

Nutec was on property applying the prescribed 
Nutrients to the course. Nutec is a gps guide fertility application based on over 500 soil sample that are collected and given a gps cordinate and then sent to the lab for testing. Nutrients are added based on the deficiency in the exact locations. 


Greens are recovery well and have been rolled for several days. We will perform our first mowing after 5 days. 

Greens being mowed after 5 days 

Small amounts of sand is brought back to the putting surface after mowing and rolling so the team using back pack blowers to spread the sand into any open holes